Saturday, February 4, 2012

Day 3 - Trekking Hard!

My body feels pushed close to physical limits, (although I know I'm probably capable of much more). 8 AM training sessions (after a 3 mile run) followed by an afternoon session. Pad work, bag work, shadowboxing, again all in the humid weather with only a few hour hiatus between sessions. The most draining aspect is the loss of fluids and electrolytes after each session and trying to replenish the body. Regardless, the emptiness, the complete release after a training session is a natural high I keep coming back for. When you feel your body being pushed, all the other complexities and stresses of life fall away from a brief moment, and all there is feeling...

On the second day of training, all I could feel during pad work is my trainer giving me commands to smash the pads as hard as I can while simultaneously feeling the emptiness in my legs plodding me to stop. I complied with my trainer with sub standard results. Finding an optimal diet plan is key for anyone seeking to perform at there best in a physical activity. In these conditions, I can truly feel the weight of this fact...

Young Coconut, chock full of potassium!
Yesterday, as I entered training, I was expecting to train with my assigned trainer at the start, Kru Teaw. Instead, an older man, Kru Tia, pointed at me and said, 'I train you today'. I had never worked with him before but had actually heard a lot of great things about the man, Lumpinee Champion (think Superbowl of Muay Thai in Thailand) and a technical trickster. As I would hit the Thai pads sequentially, like a flash, he would break the rhythm I though we created with a series of counters, and in an instant I'd be on the floor. After each technique he would allow me to execute the same exact technique on him. Through his guidance  the techniques flowed simple and natural...As I would execute the technique, landing them with little force for training, he would fall to the ground, wincing in pain, asking why I would hit a 48 year old man. Kru Tia isn't winning any Oscar's for his acting any time soon, but it was funny nonetheless. This lighthearted approach towards the act of 'training' made it much easier for me to absorb the techniques. For a few instances yesterday, I felt I was imparted upon realizations of this sport which made simple thing I once found difficult. To teach someone is to guide them from perceiving something as complex/confusing to a place of simplicity, is it not?


Oiy!!!!!!!!!!!


One of the good things about training 5 hours a day, is that you can get away with hard core fat assery. I finished off training last night with a bowl of noodle soup, thai iced coffee, coconut salad...topped off with ice cream and a couple Thai pastries. Life is good here....

Tom Yum Yen Ta Fo + Thai Ice Coffee
Don't know what this is but it was damn good!!

1 comment:

  1. I think the moment when you get some notes that bridge the gap in your knowledge from a superior teacher makes you feel like you should've gotten it so much earlier

    ReplyDelete